At the beginning of year I made a year bucket list, a list of 10 things I wanted to do before the year died. Well its the tenth month of the year and I’m actually somewhat impressed with myself. The list has had to be tweaked a bit here and there, and sadly some things won’t get done this year. But overall, I think I was pretty adventurous this year.
- Audition for community theater- I don’t think this is going to happen this year…or any year. I thought community theater was one of those things you could just go in and audition for, but they want head shots and resumes and stuff. I have non of that. In 2012, I may adjust this to just volunteering at a community theater or taking an acting class at the community college
- Make baked goods for my nieghbors, deliver them and pretend that its not wierd that I’m finally introducing myself after living here for a year and a half.- I haven’t done this yet, but there is still hope! The Holidays are a perfect time to spread neighborly love in the form of baked goodies.
- Volunteer one Saturday at the soup kitchen with my church- did that in March and blogged about it already so I won’t bore you by repeating the details.
- Take surf lessons. And yes, I will absolutely post video footage of this one so you can laugh at my ridiculous surf “skills.”- I adjusted this a little bit. I didn’t take surf lessons but for my 25th birthday me, Joe and our good friends Amanda and Chad did Stand Up Paddle Boarding (SUP). We rented boards and cruised the Dana Point Harbor. It was so much fun! The boards were really big which made it a pain to carry them but made it super easy to stand. I only fell twice. Joe, on the other hand, had a heck of a time with it and only stood up twice. Didn’t get video but will post pictures as soon as Amanda sends them to me!
- Read 5 books off of my reading list- I’ve almost done this! I’ve read four books off my list so far- The Color Purple, Life of Pi, I know Why the Caged Bird Sings, and Cry the Beloved Country. I also took a look detour off the list and read The Help, which is AMAZING! I highly recommend reading it AND I recommend looking into the controversy surrounding the book. Some authors feel that the book is actually racists, even though it speaks against racism. The opinions of those authors, and the response of the Kathryn Stockett, the books author.
- Write a story. Long. short, children’s, a parable it doesn’t matter I just need to write one!-This one needs to be adjusted. It was silly to think that I could just write a book without learning how to write a book. So my 2012 Bucket List will include plans to take some sort of class, seminar or maybe just read a book to teach me how to write a book. I did, however, come up with a story idea so we’ll see how that goes in 2012.
- Visit the Huntington Library-I’m pretty bummed that I still haven’t been there. My mom even had discount tickets but we never used them. I did, however, go to a very cool place over the summer called Descanso Gardens. It’s in LA and there is a rose garden, Japanese garden, ponds, tons of different trees and a little museum. It was fairly cheap to get in (under $10) and absolutely gorgeous. I went there with a bunch of friends and we had a wonderful time smelling the roses all day.
- Visit Pageant of the Masters- So I completely forgot that this was on my bucket list! However, my mom and dad got free tickets over the summer and invited us so we went. It was so interesting. My favorite part was actually the art show before hand. We walked around and saw some amazing paintings, photography, potter and sculptures from local artists. The actual show was not at all what I was expecting, but pretty fantastic. We were sitting pretty far back so it was hard to see, but luckily we brought binoculars (it was pretty funny watching all four of us share one pair).
- Go to a professional basketball game.- I did not get to do this, and since the NBA is is fighting and postponing the start of the season, it doesn’t look like I’m going to make this a realty this year.
- Surprise my hubby with a kitchenaid pasta attachement for absolutely no reason (don’t you dare tell him about this)- This is another one I adjusted. I decided to get him some smaller surprise presents throughout the year ( a wallet and some fancy cheeses) and give him the pasta attachment for his birthday. I’ll let you know how he likes it.
How are you doing with your New Year’s Resolutions, goals or bucket list? Has this year gone the way you wanted/thought it would?