One of the best presents Joe ever gave me was a cookbook titled “Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Cooking.” Those of you who know me well are probably thinking “How is that your favorite gift…you hate cooking.” You are correct. But the wonderful thing about this cookbook is that is is made for people who hate cooking but have to do it anyways. You see, as much as I dislike food prep, I don’t want to spend the rest of my eating frozen meals and take out every time Joe has to work a night shift. So, I have to step it up a bit and find a way to make food in the easiest way possible. Enter Sandra Lee.
Now, if you are someone who is totally into organic, super healthy, super fresh, vegan or raw foods, this cookbook is not for you. If you are a total junk food junkie and only like to consume foods with a fat content of at least 50%, this cookbook is not for you either. Also, as you can guess by the title, this book is not for someone who enjoys making up recipes or cooking things from scratch (whenever my husband cooks from this book he changes the recipes and over complicates them. It’s pretty amusing). But if you are, like me, someone who likes everything in moderation, enjoys fresh produce but isn’t afraid of canned goods either, and has no cooking creativity but is just looking to get a good meal on the table, then this cookbook has your name all over it.
There are a variety of recipes in here, everything from breakfast to dessert, kid friendly recipes, slow cooker recipes, soups and salads. Below is a recipe for slow cooker chili that I have made quite a few times and have found it very delicious. Its very easy to make and even easy to shop for…almost everything you need is on the same aisle. It’s a great recipe to make for friends who are sick, just moved in or just had a baby because its easy to make and transport, and it makes great leftovers.
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef (I always use turkey because it is a little healthier and, in my opinion, doesn’t taste different from beef).
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 can (15 oz) light red kidney beans
- 1 can (15 oz) dark red kidney beans
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans
- 1 can (15 oz) butter beans, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes with chiles
- 2 packets chili seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- optional chili fixings- sliced green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef with the onions. Drain fat and add meat to a 4-5 quart slow cooker.
- Add light and dark kidney beans, cannellini beans, butter beans, pinto beans, tomatoes, chili seasoning mix and tomato sauce to slow cooker and stir together. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 7-8 hours or on high heat setting for 4 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls, servie with chili fixings (optional) and cornbread.
Voila! Super easy, super yummy and perfect for the upcoming winter months. Do you have a favorite slow cooker recipe? Tell me all about it!